Gallery

The Dubches Hermits in the Stalin Era | Дубчесские Отшельники в Сталинские Времена


Persecution of religious minorities intensified in the Stalin era. Between 1937 and 1940 the remnants of a few noteworthy Ural Old Believer monasteries that had managed to escape destruction by the Soviet government secretly relocated from the left bank of the Ob’ River to the left bank of the Lower Yenisei River as well as to the Dubches River and its tributaries. The monastery of Father Simeon played a major role in this relocation. The writings of the monastery’s hermits traced its history to the eighteenth century, when it was led by Father Superior Maksim.

In 1951 the Dubches monasteries were spotted from the air by Soviet authorities and subsequently demolished. The hermits and the peasants who had supported the monasteries were arrested and all the buildings, icons, and books were burned. The Krasnoiarsk Office of the Ministry of State Security conducted an investigation and tried thirty-three persons. All those indicted were convicted under Article 58-10, Part 2 and Article 58-11 of the Soviet Criminal Code to prison terms ranging from ten to twenty-five years. Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn wrote about these events in his Gulag Archipelago. Two of those convicted perished in Soviet concentration camps: Father Simeon and Mother Margarita. After Stalin’s death, the other persons convicted were granted amnesty on November 12, 1954.

В сталинские времена усилилось преследование религиозных меньшинств. В период с 1937 по 1940 годы остатки примечательных староверческих монастырей на Алтае, уцелевшие от разрушения советским правительством, тайно были перевезены с левого берега Оби на левый берег Нижнего Енисея, а также на реку Дубчес и ее притоки. Монастырь отца Симеона сыграл большую роль в этом перемещении. Рукописи отшельников монастыря проследили его историю до восемнадцатого века, когда монастырь находился под руководством отца Максима.

В 1951 году Дубчесские монастыри были замечены с воздуха советскими властями и в результате разрушены. Отшельники и крестьяне, которые поддерживали монастыри, были арестованы , а все здания, иконы и книги сожжены. Красноярский отдел Министерства государственной безопасности провел расследование и судил 33 человека. Все обвиняемые были осуждены по статье 58–10, часть 2, и статье 58–11 советского Уголовного кодекса с наказанием на срок от 10 до 25 лет. Александр Солженицын описал эти события в "Архипелаге Гулаг". Двое из тех заключенных погибли в советских концентрационных лагерях: Отец Симеон и Мать Маргарита. После смерти Сталина, 12 ноября 1954 года другие осужденные получили амнистию.


Under investigation: Father Superior Simeon and Father Antonii.
Residents arrested from the Dubches hermitages.
Evidence introduced at the trial of 1952.
Under investigation: Father Superior Simeon and Father Antonii.
Krasnoiarsk, 1951

The Dubches hermits were investigated by the secret police at the end of the Stalin era.

Подследственные: игумен отец Симеон и отец Антоний.
Красноярск, 1951 г.

В конце сталинских времен секретная полиция провела расследование над Дубчесскими отшельниками.

Residents arrested from the Dubches hermitages.
Krasnoiarsk, 1951

Women arrested from the community of Dubches hermits in 1951.

Арестованные обитательницы Дубчесских скитов.
Красноярск, 1951 г.

Женщины из общины Дубчесских отшельников, арестованные в 1951 году.

Evidence introduced at the trial of 1951.
Krasnoiarsk, 1951

Religious items presented as material evidence of “anti-Soviet activity”--a charge generally resulting in a long sentence to the Gulag.

Вещественное доказательства фигурировавшие на процессе в 1951 году.
Красноярск, 1951 г.

Религиозные предметы, представленные как вещественное доказательство "анти–советской деятельности" – обвинение, после которого обычно следовал долгий срок на Гулаге.

 

 

Religious flight: Old Believers | Религиозные гонения: староверы