Gallery

Voyage of the Clipper Ship Razboinik| Путешествие клипера "Разбойник"


Following in a long tradition of both naval and commercial vessels, the Russian clipper ship Razboinik conducted a round-the-world voyage between 1886 and 1890. In the process, its crew made observations and photographs of many stops along the way that included views of native life as well as local historic sites and geographical highlights.

In the summer of 1889, the Razboinik sailed in the North Pacific waters off Kamchatka and Chukotka. The ship called at the port of Petropavlovsk and the Commander Islands, both of which invoked the memory of the great naval captain of the eighteenth century, Vitus Bering. In its short stay along this northern coast, the Razboinik carried supplies for the new Anadyr' Regional Administration that had been named a year earlier as the governmental center for the northeastern tip of Russia. The crew also helped with the construction of a new village, Novo-Mariinsk (the present day city of Anadyr'), at the mouth of the Anadyr' River.

Следуя древней традиции военных и торговых кораблей, российский клипер "Разбойник" совершил кругосветное плавание между 1886 и 1890 гг. Во время путешествия его экипаж делал наблюдения и снимки на остановках, включая виды природы, а также местные исторические достопримечательности и важные географические объекты.

Летом 1889 года "Разбойник" держал курс мимо Камчатки и Чукотки в северной части Тихого океана. Корабль заходил в порт Петропавловска и на Командорские острова. Оба места напоминали о великом морском капитане 18 века Витусе Беринге. Во время своего короткого пребывания на северном побережье Тихого океана "Разбойник" доставлял товары для нового Анадырского окружного управления, которое за год до этого стало правительственным центром северо-восточной части России. В устье реки Анадырь экипаж также помогал в строительстве поселения Ново - Мариинск (в настоящее время город Анадырь).



Cover of photo album
Ship razboinik firing cannons
Crew of Razboinik standing by outpost
A photographic album: An account of the northern voyage of the clipper ship Razboinik and the construction of the Novo-Mariinsk settlement at the mouth of the Anadyr' River, The Album of the Clipper Ship Razboinik, 1889.
RSL Department of Printed Art.

Альбом фотографических видов, 1889 г., к отчету о северном плавании клипера "Разбойник" и устройств Ново-Мариинского поселения в устье реки Анадырь, Альбом клипера "Разбойник" 1889. РГБ Отдел графических изданий.

The clipper ship Razboinik during a gun salute, July 22, 1889. The Album of the Clipper Ship Razboinik, 1889.
RSL Department of Printed Art.

For Russian ships circumnavigating the globe, it had long been customary to spend a portion of the trip in the waters of the North Pacific to provide assistance to government projects. In the summer of 1889, the Razboinik aided in the construction of a new town (Novo-Mariinsk, present-day Anadyr') and administrative center on the Chukotka Peninsula.

Клипер "Разбойник" во время салюта, 22 июля 1889 г. Альбом клипера "Разбойник" 1889.
РГБ Отдел графических изданий.

Часто случалось, что Российские корабли, совершающие кругосветное путешествие, заходили на некоторое время в воды северной части Тихого океана для оказания помощи в государсвенных проектах. Летом 1889 года "Разбойник" принимал участие в строительстве нового города (Ново-Мариинск, в настоящее время Анадырь) и административного центра на полуострове Чукотка.

Crew at rest in Novo-Mariinsk, July 22. The Album of the Clipper Ship Razboinik, 1889.
RSL Department of Printed Art.

In July 1889, the Razboinik arrived at the mouth of the Anadyr' River with supplies for the construction of an administrative office and other structures in the new town of Novo-Mariinsk. Built among Chukchi yurts, the Anadyr' Regional Administration represented the tsarist government on the tip of northeastern Russia.

Команда гуляет в Ново-Мариинске. 22 июля. Альбом клипера "Разбойник" 1889. РГБ Отдел графических изданий.

В июле 1889 года "Разбойник" прибыл в устье реки Анадырь с материалами для строительства управления и других зданий в новом городе Ново-Мариинск. Размещаясь между юртами чукчи, Анадырское окружное управление в дальнейшем представляло царское правительство на самом краю северо-восточной России.

Western shore of Kamchatka
Town on Bering Island
Entrance to Anadyr River
The western shore of Kamchatka and the Viliuchinsk volcano at the entrance to Avacha Bay, The Album of the Clipper Ship Razboinik, 1889.
RSL Department of Printed Art.

In the course of its summer in the North Pacific, the Razboinik sailed along the Russian eastern coast just off Kamchatka and Chukotka. While calling at various ports like Petropavlovsk, the ship passed by the majestic scenery of snow-capped volcanoes that run along the spine of the Kamchatka Peninsula.

Западный берег Камачтки с Вилючинской сопкой при входе в Авачинскую Губу. Альбом клипера "Разбойник" 1889.
РГБ Отдел графических изданий.

Летом, находясь на севере Тихого океана, "Разбойник" проплыл вдоль побережья восточной России мимо Камчатки и Чукотки. Заходя в различные порты, такие как Петропавловск, корабль прошел мимо величественных вулканов, покрытых снегом, которые расположены вдоль хребта полуострова Камчатка.

The town of Nikol'skoe on Bering Island, The Album of the Clipper Ship Razboinik, 1889.
RSL Department of Printed Art.

The Razboinik also called at the port of Nikol'skoe in the Commander Islands. Many Russian ships stopped there over the years to pay homage to Vitus Bering, whose grave is located on this island.

Селение Никольское на острове Беринг. (Продолжение вида на последней странице). Альбом клипера "Разбойник" 1889.
РГБ Отдел графических изданий.

"Разбойник" также зашел в порт Никольское на Командорских островах. За долгие годы многие русские корабли останавливались там, чтобы отдать дань памяти Витуса Беринга, похороненного на этом острове.

Entrance to the Anadyr' River with a general view of the spit at Cape Aleksandr where the settlement of Novo-Mariinsk was built, The Album of the Clipper Ship Razboinik, 1889.
RSL Department of Printed Art.

The village of Novo-Mariinsk was founded at the mouth of the Anadyr' River. As an anchorage and supply point for provisioning the Chukotka Peninsula, this new city helped the tsarist government extend its effective control over one of Russia's most remote territories.

Поселeние Ново-Мариинск было основано в дельте реки Анадырь. Являясь якорной стоянкой и пунктом обеспечения полуострова Чукотка, этот новый город помог царскому правительству расширить эффективный контроль над самыми отдаленными территориями.


Siberian Cities | Сибирские города